We have officially moved! Click to see where we are now!

We have officially moved! Click to see where we are now!
We have officially moved! Click to see where we are now!
Celebrating is about sharing, telling stories, talking. It's about eating a piece of cake that a friend made for you, having a glass of wine or savoring a cup of coffee. It's that unknown sensation that doesn't let you get up from the table after eating. It's much more than just placing silverware and plates on a table, it's creating an ambience, a style, a sensation, an unforgettable memory.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

PASTA TIME



It was my first attempt in making pasta from scratch, I invited friends over to have an interactive cooking experience. 



The pleasure of eating fresh pasta is worth making the dough.


We made spaghetti, beet fettuccine and ravioli filled with pumpkin.


The dough we made by hand and then we used a pasta machine to roll it out.




The pasta in the drying rack, we did several batches of pasta. At a moment every thing looked like a chinese laundry. I loved it. Pasta everywhere!


I try it later on my own to make more pasta for a dinner and I found it to be a  bit hard labour. Definitely It's something I will be doing with friends surrounded by music with a glass of wine.




We started with the basic recipe with 3 eggs and 2 1/4 cups of unbleached all purpose flour. Then we continued by mixing  the flour with semolina, my idea was to experiment with other kinds of flours like coconut flour, rice flour, flaxseed meal and spelt.

For the pumpkin ravioli I made a puree by roasting the pumpkin with olive oil and thyme. Mashed it with a fork adding butter, salt, pepper and pinch of grated nutmeg. For the sauce I melted butter with sage and served it with Parmigiano Reggiano. This is alway one of my favorites tortelli di zucca, pumpkin + butter + sage + parmigiano .
I found a recipe which I want to try it is by adding to the pumpkin puree amaretti cookies, nutmeg, Grana Padano and mostarda mantovana (spicy sauce made of candied fruits syrup and mustard essence) 

For the beet fettuccine we made the dough adding beet juice. The color came out beautiful, but for my disappointment after boiling the pasta the intense color tends to fade away.
So I try the second time boiling it into beet juice in stead of water which helped a little better to retain more of the color.

At the end were so hungry that we made the sauces fast and easy, for the spaghetti we just sautéed radicchio with dry chili, garlic and olive oil.

                                                                  Mi piace la pasta!


30 comments:

Aarthi said...

I am totally loving this..Fresh pasta is always good..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Recetario Spanglish para mis hijos said...

Hello Lola, this is a very nice post, you and your friends must have enjoyed it too much! Un beso,

Marialuisa said...

¡This was fun Lola!. I´ve always wanted to learn how to make fresh pasta, well fresh ravioli to be exact, but I´m not brave enough to go to a course...I agree with you, this should be done with friends for fun.
Love
Marialuisa

Joy said...

Your pasta looks so beautiful! I've always wanted to make homemade pasta, even bought a pasta machine several years ago, but never used it. =( Hopefully, one of these days.

Sandra said...

This is such a beautiful post Lola..Love the idea of homemade pasta..nothing beats that especially making it with people that you love!

Banana Wonder said...

yum! what great combos of pasta and yes, big food projects are always best with friends and vino! good to know about boiling the pasta with beet juice :-)

TinaRBK said...

Making pasta at home can be a fun project for a few people, but I had the same realization you did. It is much harder and not so much fun going solo on the project. Your pasta does look amazing in those pictures!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your homemade pasta, it all looks perfectly made and I love your red pasta machine!

Magic of Spice said...

I love making fresh pasta, but how fun to do it with friends :) Everything looks amazing, and I love that you did the red coloring with beet juice, will have to try that :)

Rosita Vargas said...

Se ven increíbles me encantan las pastas caseras y que mejor que consumirlos con los amigos ,una delicia,abrazos hugs,hugs.

firefoodie said...

All I can say is WOW. There is nothing as heartwarming as making fresh pasta.. something I haven't done in ages. Thanks for inspiring me! Anthony :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a great idea for a gathering with friends! I may have to do the same! Lovely idea~

cajunville said...

We enjoy making fresh pasta, will have to try with beets. Enjoyed your post.

Maggie said...

I love making fresh pasta and make it all the time. My husband refuses to eat any other pasta now! I have a pasta roller that rolls the dough for me, and this cuts down considerably on the amount of work it takes to make pasta. I can whip up a batch from flour to pot in less than 20 minutes now.
Love the pumpkin, parm, sage combo. This is on of my very favorite kinds of ravioli. The beet pasta is so fun too! Curious, where did you get beet juice? Great post!

Lola Lobato said...

Hi Maggie, the beet juice I made it by cutting small chunks and put them into the blender y also used the water from the cooked beet for the puree.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

WOW WOW WOW! I had so much fun reading about your pasta making! I LOOOOVE pasta and really wish that I have fresh pasta to cook. But I probably won't buy pasta maker for a while...so I just enjoyed reading your post. It's a great idea that you invited your friends. I'd probably do the same and cook together at the end. Oh that got me an idea...I should find someone who has pasta maker! ;-) Thanks for sharing Lola!

Okto said...

Hi, Lola

As always you have made a great post that wakes my apetites ;)

This is a great menu to add in my home.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow..very nice post..lovely

Tasty Appetite

Andrea said...

This pasta looks amazing.

Charissa said...

You are so ambitious...tackling homemade noodles would probably kill me.
And I LOVE LOVE your profile pictures...the whole photo(s) are so artsy and fun!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

Wow...Lola...your pastas came out beautifully! (I'm nervous to attempt this but maybe a group of friends and some wine is the way to go!) I especially like the beet fettucine. So thanks for the tip of boiling it in beet juice! It all looks so good!!! : )

Simply Life said...

oh this is SO impressive!!!

lisa is cooking said...

How fun! I love making pasta, and I always run out of room for all the drying pasta. Beet pasta is so pretty. Must have been a delicious day.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Homamde pasta are wonderful and yours look amazing! What a great post.

Cheers,

Rosa

LinsFood said...

You look like you had a lot of fun making the pasta, then eating it too, I guess! Nothing better than fresh pasta. My kids love making our own and with 4 of them you can just imagine the cleaning up after! Must confess, we've never made beet, must try it! Thanks for the inspiration! I'm your latest follower on Google now! Lin xx

Elena said...

I wish to have some time and I think I am going to make some time this week-end. Looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

Hi Lola! How're you? You are so brave, and I really must build up my courage to make pasta from scratch. Your post right now certainly inspires me to really take up on the challenge. I love raviolis and I this time, I really can't wait to try it. Take care now.. xoxo

Danijela said...

Hello,
this is my first time here. Your blog looks amazing.
I love pasta but homemade pasta is even better in my opinion. I see you had a lot of fan, these pictures are great. Thanks for sharing this. Will stop by more often from now on.

Sarah said...

Loved this post! I hope to one day have a kitchen big enough to make pasta in!

Ailene said...

Awesome post. I always love pasta especially homemade pasta.airconditioner perth